Waste Acceptance Guidelines

Michigan's solid waste law and rules contain restrictions about certain waste being disposed of in municipal solid waste landfills. The following are items that have special disposal instruction.

Please review these special instructions and for more information please call (231) 943-8088 or LIVE CHAT.

Used Beverage Containers

This rule applies to beverage containers that are 1 gallon or smaller in size that contained a soft drink; soda water, carbonated natural or mineral water or other nonalcoholic carbonated drink; beer, ale or other malt drink of alcoholic content; or mixed wine drink or mixed spirit drink.


  • If a deposit was paid on a beverage container, return the container to any retailer that sells that beverage for deposit refund.
  • If available recycle all other containers. If recycling is not available, containers can be mixed in with your trash.

Yard Clippings

Yard clippings are defined as leaves, grass clippings, vegetable or other garden debris, shrubbery or brush or tree trimmings, less than 4 feet in length and 2 inches in diameter, that can be converted to compost humus.


  • Use yard clippings as mulch practice backyard composting.
  • In the City of Traverse City or Acme Township, you can purchase yard waste recycling stickers at our Traverse City Office.
    • Waste must be placed inside bio degradable bags.

Used Oil

Many oil change locations and auto supply stores accept used oil. Some communities hold special waste collection days.


Older household's materials, such as ceiling tiles, floor tiles and insulation, may contain asbestos. Homeowners may remove asbestos from their own residences, but precautions need to be taken and the waste must go to a licensed disposal site. Special labeling and packaging requirements apply.


  • We provide Asbestos removal service through our Affiliate Northern A-1 Services. For more information please Click HERE.


These batteries include household batteries (AA, AAA, C, D, 9V), rechargeable household batteries, motor vehicle batteries, rechargeable tool batteries, and many more.


  • Motor vehicle batteries can be returned to auto parts stores
  • Return used batteries to the retailer when purchasing new ones
  • Community Cleanup's
  • Rechargeable batteries can be taken to locations such as:
    • Batteries Plus Bulbs
    • Home Depot

Radioactive Waste

This can include any waste the measures as radioactive. This waste can be produced by industrial processes or NORM (Naturally Occurring Radioactive Material).


  • Our Affiliate Northern A-1 Services provide NORM Remediation and Disposal Services. For more information please click HERE.

Hazardous Waste

Hazardous waste is waste that is dangerous or potentially harmful to our health or the environment. Hazardous wastes can be liquids, solids, gases, or sludges. They can be discarded commercial products, like cleaning fluids or pesticides, or the by-products of manufacturing processes. 


  • Our Affiliate Northern A-1 Services can provide waste characterization, lab packs, cleanup and transportation services. For more information please click HERE.

Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs) - (Fluorescent lights)

Fluorescent light ballasts and other materials may contain PCBs, which can only be disposed of in certain landfills. These include compact fluorescent and fluorescent tubes.


  • Compact Fluorescents (CFLs) can be taken to your nearest Home Depot Store. Recycling bins are normally located near the entrance. Ask at the customer service desk.
  • Fluorescent Tubes from households should be taken to a local community cleanup's or disposed of through a mail-in program. Businesses should also use community cleanup programs or seek out mail in programs.

Paint and Stain

Latex (water based or acrylic) and Oil-based (alkyd) paints and stains.


Leftover paint can be disposed of at community special waste collection day or by drying the paint. Air-drying of liquid alkyd or oil based paint is not considered safe. In regions that allow it, let your latex paint air dry in a safe location away from children and pets. A small amount of paint, less than 1/2 inch, in the bottom of a paint can is easily dried out by leaving the lid off.

Once the paint is hard, discard the paint can with the lid off, preferably in a metal recycling program or it  can also be disposed of in your trash service.

Larger volumes of latex paint can be dried in a box with absorbent material such as shredded paper or kitty litter. Recycle the empty can with the lid off and dispose of the dried out latex paint as garbage. If the paint in the can is solidified all the way through, it may be disposed of as garbage with the lid off to prevent the buildup of pressure in the can.